Are there any grants or other financial assistance available?
SIM Residency does not have a funding board or body attached to it. We also do not offer scholarships or stipends. It is advised that you seek funding in your own country; most Icelandic funding is especially for Icelandic projects or artists.
What are the arrival and departure dates?
The granted residency period is from the 2nd till the last day of each month. If you are staying for longer than one month, then your residency period starts from the 2nd till the last day of your last month of stay without any interruptions.
What living expenses are artists responsible for? What is an average budget per month?
Your residency fee covers your accommodation and studio space. All other costs are the responsibility of the artist. It is good to budget with a minimum of 10.000 - 12.000 ISK per week for food. Otherwise all expenses are dependent on what kind of experience you are looking for. It is good to budget for trips out of town and exploring Iceland.
Where can I stay before/after granted residency period?
If your arrival/departure dates not matching precisely with granted residency period, you can book and stay at our downtown SIM guest house. For availabilities, prices and booking, please visit our web page https://sim.is/residency/short-stay/
How should I get to the residency building from the airport?
After you complete payment for your residency stay and one month left till your arrival, you will receive email with all arrival information and much more.
What kind of equipment SIM residency can provide?
Every other equipment for different media or techniques residency does not provide any specific tools or machines.
Where should I send a post package?
Do I need VISAS?
Did SIM residency provide a vehicle during the stay?
Unfortunately, for a moment we can`t offer those facilities. You will have to rent a car from rental companies.
Can I have a guest during my stay?
Did the group exhibition and artists talk are mandatory?
We do expect you to participate in both public events, but it is optional.
When can I apply?
Should I bring my towels and bed linens?
Included in the residency fee are sheets, towels, water, electricity, heating, and internet access for laptops.
Where can I find all the useful information about my stay?
After you proceed with the payment for your residency stay, you will get permission to log in to the member's area. There you will see all useful information for your stay: arrival information, monthly residency program, dates of events, a different type of notes/directions, helpful contacts and advice to organize safe road trips, and the best tips to explore Icelandic nature also online chat with accepted artists and SIM Residency management.
What are the prices for each room ?
Can I travel during COVID-19?
SIM Residency is open and keeps its activities, we do take important safety measures at the SIM Residency apartments during a global pandemic. Each artist that choose to participate in residency program since pandemic started, has arrived and completed residency program successfully.
SIM Residency rules July - December 2021
SIM RESIDENCY RULES
Applied from July 1st till December 31st, 2021
We have assembled this set of rules to make your stay in the residency as positive and fulfilling as possible. We thank you in advance for observing them.
*intolerance of SIM Residency rules is not an exemption.
1. Residency period:
- artist can apply from 1 till 3 month stay.
- The granted residency period is from the second to the last day of the relevant month.
- SIM Residency apartments can not be granted for shorter than one month period of stay. Shorter stays of up to two weeks are possible at our SIM Guest house.
- Artists staying in SIM Residencies both at Seljavegur and Korpúlfsstaðir are welcome to arrive at any time of the day or night.
- Week before arrival, artists receives an email with arrival information/instructions on how to find the residency apartment.
- Every artist can be accepted max for 3 times, each time from 1 to 3 month stay. After that artist can be exempt out of this rule if there are available rooms/studios and no one else is standing in the waiting list.
2. Residency fee:
- The residency fee must be paid the latest 9 weeks prior to arrival.
- For residencies lasting longer than one month, the fee for the first month is to be paid 9 weeks in advance, the fee for the second and third months can be paid on arrival at our SIM Office with a credit or debit cards.
- Granted residency period is not secured until fee payment wont be proceded. If residnecy fee, and flight informatino is not provided by the artist 9 weeks prior to arrival, the granted residency period would be canceled automatically without notification.
- The residency fee is intended to cover the general cost of running the program. It does not constitute rent, and the artist, therefore, does not obtain the legal status of the tenant.
- Two persons can share rooms at Seljavegur – room 11 - 1140.00 EUR, and Korpúlfsstaðir room 7 - 1040.00 EUR for the whole month.
- Included in the residnecy fee are: free wifi in all residency apartments and studios; free parking in both locations; set of towes, beddings; all comunnal utincels and equipment in the kitchen; cleaning, washing detergents, cleaning equipments; iron; washing mashine; blowdrier; communal cost of electricity, heating, cold/hot water.
- Not included in the resdiency fee are: food, work materials or suplies, insurance, travel expenses.
- Residency fee do not cower artists insurance, trip cost, living cost, workshop fees, work materials.
3. Payment information:
If paid with US Dollars:
Bank: NBI hf.Reykjavik
BIC/ Swift: NBIIISRE
to the account of:
Samband islenskra myndlistarmanna
If paid with euros:
Owner: 551283-0709 - SÍM, samband ísl myndlistarmanna
IBAN: IS94 0101 3871 2631 5512 8307 09
SWIFT (BIC). NBIIISRE
to the account of:
Samband islenskra myndlistarmanna
Bank name: Landsbankinn.hf
Address: Austurstraeti 11, 155 Reykjavik, Iceland
Please make sure the transfer is clear of bank costs around 700 ISK 5-6 USD, 4-5 Euros SIM service bank + your bank?
Note: during the payment procedure in the notes of payment leave a mark of your: full name, month, residency name - Seljavegur or Korpúlfsstaðir and room number.
4. SIM Residency rooms/studios fees per month:
Room 1 -12 sqm / 550,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio, Ocean View)
Room 2 - 10 sqm / 500,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio, Ocean View)
Room 3 - 10 sqm / 500,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio, Ocean View)
Room 4 - 17 sqm / 700,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio)
Room 5 - 17 sqm / 700,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio)
Room 6 - 17 sqm / 700,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio)
Room 7 - 17 sqm / 700,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio)
Room 8 - 17 sqm / 700,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio)
Room 9 - 10 sqm / 455,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio)
Room 10 - 10 sqm / 800,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio) + Individual Studio 18 sqm
Room 11 - 30 sqm / 800,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio), possible for two persons, the room price is 1140.00 EUR for an individuals or a pair)
Room 1 – 15 sqm / 700,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio)
Room 2 - 12 sqm / 700,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio + separated individual studio place in shared space)
Room 3 - 12 sqm / 700,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio + separated individual studio place in shared space)
Room 4 - 17 sqm / 700,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio)
Room 5 – 15 sqm / 700,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio)
Room 6 – 15 sqm / 700,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio)
Room 7 – 19 sqm / 800,00 EUR (Single Bedroom/Studio) possible for two persons, the room price is 1040.00 EUR for an individuals or a pair).
5. Cancellation policy:
- If canceled 8-4 weeks prior to the scheduled arrival date, 50% of the residency fee is refunded.
- If canceled 4-0 weeks prior to the scheduled arrival date, none of the residency fee is refunded.
- refunded amount always in ISK, from exact day that fee was received by the SÍM. Bank transfer cost will be charged from refunded amount.
- SIM Residency doesn`t require artists to pay an actual safety deposit.
- On arrival, artist are required to sign under a deposit agreement between SÍM and artist.
- Artist for Deposit agreement has to give SÍM his/hers credit-card number as an insurance for the loss of keys 35,00 EUR or guest card 15,00 EUR and cleaning fee 80,00 EUR. SÍM keeps a right to apply extra charges for the artist if he/she or his/hers guest/visitor violates SIM Residency rules or damages property, the house holds, equipment. Charges will be applied accordingly for the cost of possible repairs or any services needed.
- Credit card will not be charged if the artist won't lose the keys, guest card, and leaves the residency apartment clean after his stay.
- Deposit agreement will be canceled, and the document destroyed in one week from the artists departure, after inspection of the room/studio that the artists have been staying in to.
- Artists are responsible for their own travel insurance, including health insurance that is required by their country of residence.
8. Safety and security
- Up on arrival artist receives individula set of keys. Keys are from the main dorrs to enter resdiency building, and from each artist`s room/studio.
- It stays under artist`s personal responcibility to look after his/hers belongings by keeping room loct at all the time.
- SIM Residency do not take responcibility for none of individual artist´s belongings in case of theft, fier, water flood or other actcidents.
- In extream emergency situations artist has to call for a emergency phone call 112 and seek for help. In other cases if matter is not urgend and life thretening first contact SIM Residency management.
-Both SIM Residency apartmens has legal lisences from Iceland´s fierd department, by requiered safety regulations with instaled fier and smoke detectors in each room/studio and comunal areas, including first aid help quits.
- Artists in residence are allowed to have one guest staying with them at a time in the room.
- Children under 14 years cannot stay in the residency.
- Guests at Seljavegur can stay for a maximum of two weeks.
- The guest fee depends on the length of stay: 18.000 ISK for each week per person or 2.500 ISK per night for stays shorter than a week. Payment can be made during the stay at our SIM Office.
- All guests are provided with bedding, towels, and an extra bed.
- We also urge you to look into staying at the SIM downtown Guest rooms at Hafnarstræti 16, 101 Reykjavik. For further booking information, please visit: https://sim.is/residency/short-stay/
- Guests have to respect the house rules, and artists take full responsibility for their guests during their stay.
9. SIM Guest house:
- If artist needs to plan a stay before/after the granted residency period, they are welcome to book a stay at our SIM downtown Huest house.
- Artists are welcome to book SIM Guest rooms for their visitors during residency period.
- For further booking information, please visit: https://sim.is/residency/short-stay/
10. SIM Residency apartment mentainance rules:
* by following strict hygiene regulations that have been released from our Health Department, we pay more attention to house rules during period of pandemicks. SIM Residency provides all disinfectants. Other personal prevention types of equipment like masks, gloves remain under artists personal responsibility. Masks, gloves might be requested to be in use at any time accordingly upon health department regulations.
- Artists staying in the residency each time are responsible for keeping the apartment clean. There is a weekly rotating cleaning plan for the common spaces. The common spaces have to be cleaned properly, in particular at the end of every month. Cleaning supplies and toilet paper are provided by the management. Please be considerate and tidy up after you have used the common spaces. Do not leave unwashed household items on the tables or in the sink. The rubbish from the kitchen has to be taken out to the main bin every day.
- Please report any damages or malfunctions of the equipment and space (furniture, shower, electricity, kitchen equipment, etc.). The management needs to be informed of any displacement of furniture or studio equipment.
- The power supply in the apartments and studio is 220 volts. Please use adapters when using electric equipment with other voltage.
- Smoking is forbidden inside the residency buildings, and the use of illegal drugs will not be tolerated.
- Loud noise is not allowed in the apartments after 10 PM till 8 AM.
- Disturbances and/or drunkenness can result in eviction.
- The use of toxic fluids, in particular nitro, aerosols, petrol, and benzenes not allowed.
- At Seljavegur and Korpúlfsstaðir, there is a project spaces that can be used when working with rougher materials. Any interest in using space has to be permited by residency managemenr.
- Painting or drawing on the floor and the walls is not allowed.
- At the end of the month, each artist is responsible for cleaning his own room and studio. The bedding should be taken off and left unwashed in the linen basket in the cleaning room. When leaving, please remove all your remaining consumables or artist materials from your room, the kitchen, and bathroom or give it to somebody else personally.
- Please ask for assistance if conflicts arise between the artists in the residency.